I'm another year older, and another year wiser. I spent my birthday week self reflecting on who I am, who I want to be, and what’s really important in my life. I wanted to share some of my conclusions.
1. Be true to yourself and who you are. I believe it’s really important to pay attention to how you feel, and what makes you happy. I will fiercely pursue the things I love and eliminate the things I don’t, regardless of other people’s opinions. Be inclusive to others regardless of age, gender, beliefs or nationality, because differences should be celebrated. Your uniqueness is valuable, YOU are important.
2. Family & friends are everything. Surround yourself with people that inspire you, push you to be your best self, & make your heart happy. Love fearlessly, deeply, and share that love through actions and words often. As I look at everyone who surrounds me, my heart feels full of love. I’m so thankful for all of the amazing people I have met in my life.
3. Go explore nature. It can be easy to get sucked into the city life, and forget how beautiful the world is. Adventure into the woods, get lost in the mountains, jump into that freezing cold lake water, lay down and stare at the stars. Don’t forget to stop, take a deep breath, and look around at how beautiful the world is.
4. Set concrete goals and fearlessly pursue what makes you happy. Don’t ever stop challenging yourself to be the best person you can be, even if it’s something that scares you. This year I searched for what my soul enjoys. I’m in love with gaming, solving hard engineering problems, dancing, music, piano, dressing up, fighting for a better culture in tech, learning, and challenging myself to be better.
5. Nothing is permanent. Sadness, anger, happiness, every emotion you feel is temporary. You can't appreciate the highs, without experiencing the lows. You need to live through a storm to truly appreciate the sun. When you are having a rough time reach out to those around you, and remind yourself that pain is temporary. Confront your bad days, and treasure your good ones.
I’m thankful for another year in my life journey. I’m excited for this upcoming year in Seattle as I continue to build relationships with those around me, explore the beautiful state of Washington, and focus on my career to dream bigger than I ever thought possible.